After the Samsung Galaxy Fold Foldable Phone disaster in April, I wrote the device off as a possible purchase, with the intent to wait until the next generation of foldable phones.
Who was I kidding? I’ve been covering mobile devices for more than 18 years and am the consummate early adopter.
I saw a few lucky mobile tech media receive a review unit and was devouring every word and video, with the hope of seeing significant improvement in the device due to Samsung’s redesign. Somehow, the Best Buy website appeared on my computer, and I searched for availability in Washington State. Unlocked models were not available until Oct. 4, and the website showed there were none available within 250 miles.
Undeterred, I broadened my search to all of the state and found an AT&T Cosmos Black Samsung Galaxy Fold unit in Kennewick, Wash. This was an 8-hour roundtrip to purchase and pick up the phone, so I posted a couple of questions related to unlocking AT&T locked models on Twitter. Max Weinbach, from XDA Developers, provided some great information, so I talked to my wife about my plan (aka received concurrence to spend $2,000 on a phone) and made the trip to Eastern Washington.
As a professional engineer with machine design classes in my educational background, I cannot tell you how excited I was to purchase the phone after watching the Samsung video showing the precise watchmaking approach to the hinge mechanism. Samsung is pushing the boundaries of engineering with this phone, and it’s thrilling to be a part of it now with my device in hand.
The Galaxy Fold comes in a fairly simple black box, with the word Galaxy written in a way that the last three letters are folded over. Slide this outer sleeve up and off to reveal another black sleeve with a soft white box inside. Remove this inner sleeve, and then you can start opening up the soft white box.
SAMSUNG GALAXY FOLD SPECIFICATIONS
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855
- Main display: 7.3 inches, 2152 x 1536 pixels resolution (362 PPI), Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex Display, 4.2:3 aspect ration
- Cover display: 4.6 inches, 720 1680 pixels resolution (399 PPI), Super AMOLED, 21:9 aspect ratio
- Operating system: Android 9.0 Pie
- RAM: 12GB LPDDR4
- Storage: 512GB internal storage, UFS 3.0
- Cameras: 12MP rear f/2.4 telephoto, 12MP f/1.5 & f/2.4 super speed dual pixel dual aperture camera, and 16MP f/2.2 ultra-wide camera (123 degrees field-of-view). 10MP f/2.2 and 8MP RGB depth camera above the main inner display for front-facing shots. 10MP f/2.2 front-facing camera on the cover.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.0 LE, ANT+, GPS/Galileo/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Barometer, Capacitive Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor
- Battery: 4,380 mAh non-removable with fast wireless charging. Two batteries compose this capacity. Wireless PowerShare is also available.
- Dimensions (Folded): 62.8 x 160.9 x 17.1mm (Hinge) — 15.7mm (Sagging)
- Dimensions (Unfolded): 117.9 x 160.9 x 7.6mm (Frame) — 6.9mm (Screen)
- Weight: 276g
- Colors: Space Silver and Cosmos Black