Folding phones are happening. You may not like it and you may not understand what purpose they serve but that doesn’t matter. We already know one of the biggest players in mobile has a folding phone coming.
Now, new rumors have the named pegged as the Samsung Galaxy Fold. Pricing is now being rumored to be $1,800USD and the Samsung Galaxy Fold will house a massive 6,000 mAh battery and run the latest Snapdragon and Exynos processors.
This is all coming from a report by Korean analysts CCS-CIMB Research. Lets Go Digital got its hands on the report which is lengthy at 74 pages.
The new folding smartphone is said to have two battery packs one on each side for a total of 6,000 mAh. The display on the inner part of the phone/tablet is 7.3″ with a resolution of 2152 x 1536 and is OLED technology.
The Samsung Galaxy Fold will also have two cameras on the back which clock in at 12-megapixels and one 8-megapixel on the front. Samsung will use their own Exynos 9820 chipset in their Korean variants and the Snapdragon 8150 in the United States.
According to the report, the cost to Samsung for materials to build the Fold will be $636.70 and the final retail price will sit around $1,800USD. Rumors also peg the official announcement of this device to be at Mobile World Congress in February 2019.
There’s a plethora of information and graphics and charts over on Let’s Go Digital so be sure to hit the link below for more. You might have to use Google Translate to translate the page. But here are the key facts laid out in the CGS-CIMB research:
- Global foldable smartphone sales volume to rise from 4m units in 2019 to 39m in 2022.
- Foldable smartphone share in global smartphone revenue to increase from 1.3% in 2019 to 9.2% in 2022.
- Average retail price of the foldable smartphone will decline from $1700 in 2019 to $1300 in 2022.
- Bill of materials (BOM) cost for Galaxy Fold will be 69% higher than that of Galaxy S9+, implying dollar content growth. Samsung Galaxy Fold BOM cost will be $636,70. Profit margin: 65%.
- Supplier has unveiled the following specs of the Galaxy Fold: 12- megapixel dual camera and an 8-megapixel front camera. Two batteries, one in each housing. Total battery capacity: 5000 – 6000mAh.
So, from that data, it seems they’re projecting at least 4 million folding phones will be sold in 2019. Those are pretty confident projections for a new product that hasn’t been consumer tested. I guess only time will tell. More info