However, the first device getting the company’s Hongmeng OS won’t actually be a phone, as once assumed — it will instead be a TV with a smart screen, the company announcedat a launch event Friday for its first 5G phone in China.
Richard Yu, the CEO of Huawei’s consumer business group, said as part of Friday’s announcement that the company wants the new TVs it’s formally calling “Smart Screens” to be the central entertainment and communications hub in consumers’ living rooms. And these TVs based on Huawei’s Hongmeng operating system will launch next month.
The beleaguered Chinese electronics giant hasn’t revealed too much at this point about the OS that they quickly touted as a defensive measure after the US ban was put in place. The company said it had actually been long at work on a replacement for Android if one was ever needed, then trademarked several names for such an OS including Hongmeng and Ark.
However, Huawei earlier this month seemed to reverse course a but when a company executive said that, actually, the company preferred to stick with Android for its phones and was hopeful the US ban would be lifted.
It had been assumed the company was keeping Hongmeng waiting in the wings for its phones, but today underscores reports from recent days that, actually, the Hongmeng OS would be used to power connected devices and internet of things products. More
Andy Meek@aemeek bgr.com